The holidays are right around the corner and that means ‘guest season’ (as I like to call it) is coming! It’s the time of year that many of us host the most guests and gatherings, so making a first impression is top priority. That means sprucing up the entry. But something so seemingly simple can actually be quite the challenge, so today we’re getting a few pointers from design pro, Meredith Rodday, who also happens to be one of our talented creatives on The List. We can’t wait to see how you style your entry using Meredith’s tips, make sure to share on Instagram and add the #howihaven hashtag to your post!
Photography: Kate Eden Renyi
From Meredith Rodday Design… Entries are one of my favorite spaces because they are the first impression of a home. My advice… less is more and let a few things stand out and make a statement. Here are the elements to make your entry sing!
- Lighting: a fun, funky lamp or sconces will help set the tone. Here I used a custom shade from Etsy to update a West Elm lamp.
- Art and/or mirror: adding one of these will immediately give visitors a view. Don’t be afraid to layer pieces in front – a little overlap is a good thing!
- Proof of Life: I stole that phrase from Alyssa Rosenheck but it’s so true – greenery is a must have!
- Accessories: the key is to mix it up – vary height, shape, and materials (like metal, ceramic, glass, even beads).
- Properly sized furniture – don’t settle for a too-small console. Nothing will make a space feel smaller, or more like an afterthought, than an undersized entry table.
- Final step: Edit! Be sure everything has a purpose and all of the accessories aren’t creating clutter. Try taking something away and see if you miss it.